- See individual categories for details regarding how long you have to have been dancing to remain in a particular level.
- If you placed
- 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in beginner, intermediate, or intermediate plus; or
- 1st in advanced
at a recognized national modern jive championship at or prior to VMJC 2019, then you must advance to the next level.
Recognized national Modern Jive championships are: CMJ Champs/Australian Ceroc Dance Championships, VMJC, QMJC, Gold Coast Champs, NZ Nationals, and West Australian Modern Jive Champs.
- You must compete at the highest level of the couple.
- In keeping the championships fair and ethical, the organisers of this event reserve the right to change your level at their discretion.
- You may compete at one level of Freestyle only.eg: You may not compete in Int Freestyle and in Advanced Freestyle.
- You may compete at one level of DWAS only eg: You may not compete in Int DWAS and in Advanced DWAS.
- You may compete at a different level for different categories subject to you fitting the criteria for each level eg: You may compete at Advanced DWAS and Intermediate Plus Freestyle.
- Dancers who have previously “danced up” at a higher level than they qualify for because their partner was in a higher level and did not place at that level can move back down one level from the highest level at which they have competed, assuming they are not excluded by another rule.
Please note: Modern Jive competition is about being open, honest and fair in your decision to compete at a particular level. You should know what level you are – if in doubt, ask your teacher/director. It may not be possible to squeeze you into a lower level at the last minute so make sure you register at the correct level.
Special Dispensation (Champions Only)
If you have not placed in champions & not competed in the last 4 years, you are eligible to apply for dispensation to compete at advanced at the discretion of the Directors.
In all levels the Modern Jive teacher is eligible to dance one level higher than their current Modern Jive teaching level
Beginner Progression – May dance at Intermediate Level or above.
Intromediate or Bridging Class - May dance at Intermediate Level or above.
Beginner Mainstream – May dance at Intermediate Level or above.
Intermediate Mainstream – May dance at Advanced Level or above.
Advanced Mainstream/ Specialised workshops – May dance at Advanced or above.
Directors/Professional Dancers – May dance at a minimum of Advanced unless they are a Winning Champions leveled dancer.
Hosts of the Championship - are eligible to enter Teams Only